Monday, July 4, 2011

New Year Resolution Update

I have always admired people, like my husband, who can read and read and read. Austin has been able to get into a rhythm of reading where he has read and aims to read up to 20 books in a year. Since we've been married, he's already read at least 6 books. That rhythm has been much harder for me to find.

Earlier at the start of this year, I made a resolution to aim to read a meager, 4 books. I made it official by proclaiming it during our Friday morning group with my co-workers and patients at the skilled nursing facility I work at. It is written and posted on the speech therapy door along with other resolutions from patients and staff alike. Now that we are half way through the year, I must admit that I am about three-quarters of the way through one book. (Entering into the year, I was half way through a book, but it had taken me so long to get through that book, that I had lost interest and I can't even remember if I got all the way through it...needless to say, I am not counting it as one of my four).

Currently, I am reading, A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. I started reading this book upon recommendation of a friend around the time of our wedding; I even brought it on our honeymoon. I've laughed out loud many times and have found the whimsical stories of mischief and boyhood very entertaining, but it has taken me about 3 months to get this far. Lately, I have had a much better rhythm of reading that involves a nightly 10-20 pages before falling asleep.

Austin also is reading right now, The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas; a much larger and difficult read as compared to my novel which I'm told has similarities to the movie Simon Birch. We are currently "racing" to see who will finish first - Austin has 700ish pages remaining and I, 240ish. Obviously we both are hoping and assuming that I will win this race. Telling others and now telling you, has been a motivating factor for me to at least attempt to "keep up" if not move ahead.

More updates to come...apparently at this rate, once every 2 months

No comments:

Post a Comment